PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN THE LAKES REGION: AN ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY written by the Lakes Region Planning Commission, 1986 The former Scribner house was probably built before 1821 by blacksmith William Drake. However, the design of the house suggests that it was built or substantially remodeled in the mid-19th century. Later a two family tenement, the house became the home in the early 20th century of Mrs. Emma Scribner. Sometime between 1912 and 1923, Mrs. Scribner remodeled the building, removing the barn and most of the ell, but adding the sunporch. Mrs. Scribner died on September 11, 1936, leaving her home to the Town for use as a community center and library, as a memorial to her husband. The house required some remodeling to fill its new role as a library. The walls separating the central hall and three rooms on the first floor were removed and the stairway moved back to make the most of the first story. A flight of granite steps were built to give access from Main Street and a toolshed was built on the rear lawn. On September 11, 1939, the new library was opened to the public. The building has been re-sheathed with vinyl siding and interior renovations have included the removal of an upstairs bathroom, its replacement by a smaller first floor restroom, and the combination of two upstairs rooms.