At the Town Meeting in 1871 the citizens of Ashland voted to raise $250.00 to purchase books in order to establish the Ashland Town Library. The first library was opened at Colonel Thomas P. Cheney’s home on Highland Street with his wife Mary acting as the first librarian. The library was moved several times to private homes until being housed in the Commercial Building and then to the Scribner Block. In 1895 the town built the Firemen’s Hall and the Ashland Town Library had its first permanent home sharing the space with the Fire Department (pictured below). The 1937 Town Meeting voted to accept the Emma Scribner bequest of her 19th century home and land on the corner of Main and Pleasant Street. The 1938 Town Meeting voted $500.00 to move the library to the Scribner Memorial Building. The first floor was extensively remodeled to house the library. The library was opened to the public in its current quarters on September 11, 1939.
Ashland Town Library 41 Main Street P.O. Box 660 Ashland, NH 03217 603-968-7928 email@example.com